Leader and Presidential candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama has formally filed a petition at the Supreme Court to challenge the 2020 Presidential Election Results Declaration by the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana.
Mr. Mahama filed the petition at about 12pm today, Wednesday December 30, Kasatintin.com can report.
The NDC and former President Mahama have insisted that the 2020 election was rigged in favour of the ruling NPP and its presidential candidate Nana Akufo-Addo hence the court action.
The results, as declared by the Electoral Commission’s boss, Jean Mensa on Tuesday, December 9, indicated that Nana Akufo-Addo polled 6,730, 413 (51.59%) of the total votes cast, whiles John Mahama garnered 6, 214, 889 (47.36%) of the total votes cast.
However, the NDC ‘Petition details serious violations of the 1992 Constitution by the Electoral Commission and its Chairperson and Returning Officer for the Presidential Election, Mrs. Jean Adukwei Mensa in the conduct of their constitutional and legal responsibilities.’
It also seeks among others, ‘a declaration from the Supreme Court to the effect that, the purported declaration of the results of the 2020 Presidential Election on the 9th day of December 2020 is unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect whatsoever’.
Mahama will address the nation at 8pm today on the petition filed and other related matters.
A press statement signed by the NDC General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia dated 30th December, 2020 said:
‘The under-listed personalities have been assigned as Spokespersons on the matter and may be contacted by the media after the Petitioner’s address to the nation and throughout the hearing of the matter:
- Hon. Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong Esq. – Former Attorney General and Minister for Justice.
- Hon. Dr. Dominic Akuritinga Ayine Esq.- MP for Bolgatanga East and former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
- Dr. Abdul Baasit Aziz Bamba Esq. – Member of NDC Legal Team
- Hon. Alex Segbefia Esq.- Director of International Relations, NDC
- Abraham Amaliba Esq. – Director Legal, NDC
- Sammy Gyamfi Esq.- National Communications Officer, NDC
- Kakra Essamuah Esq.- NDC Communications Director
- Joyce Bawa Mogtari Esq. – Special Aide and Spokesperson of HE John Dramani Mahama
- Godwin Edudzi Tamakloe Esq. – Member of NDC legal team
What’s your reaction to this post?